Name of service being provided: Counselling & Psychotherapy
Nature of service and principles to safeguard children from harm
AnneLeigh Counselling & Psychotherapy provides Counselling & Psychotherapy Services across two centres which are located in Naas and Celbridge, Co Kildare. We provide therapeutic support to adolescents, parents and adults.
The therapeutic support includes:
- Working individually with adolescents from aged 12 onwards
- Working with parents
- Working with adults
AnneLeigh is committed to protecting children from harm. AnneLeigh is fully committed to the principles and practice of the Children First 2015 legislation and recognises the importance of child safety and welfare.
AnneLeigh aims to create a safe and healthy environment for the young people with whom we work and we are committed at all times to ensure the safety and welfare of adolescent
We have carried out an assessment of any potential for harm to an adolescent while availing of our services. Below is a list of the areas of risk identified and the list of procedures for managing these risks.
|Risk identified||Procedure in place to manage identified risk|
|1||Physical Safety||AnneLeigh will report to the landlord any potential risks to physical safety within the building as part of its health and safety assessment which includes fire safety, adequate lighting on stairways, etc.|
|2||One to One Contact between Counsellor/Psychotherapist and Child or Adolescent||AnneLeigh endeavours to protect the child from any type of potential abuse by the following measures:
· All counsellors /psychotherapists must have current Garda vetting which is overseen by IAHIP/IACP
· By ensuring the counsellors/ psychotherapists working with adolescents have specific child/adolescent training and qualifications
· By ensuring the counsellors/ psychotherapists have appropriate insurance, supervision and are a member of an Accreditation Body
· All counsellors /psychotherapists must adhere strictly to the Accreditation code of ethics and practice
· Keeping clear, confidential records/notes of all adolescent counselling/psychotherapy sessions
· Counsellors / psychotherapists ensure to obtain written consent from a parent prior to commencement of counselling.
|3||Working outside the building||Counsellors / psychotherapists cannot work with a child outside of the building. If so, another adult must be present|
|4||Reporting Child Protection Concerns to TUSLA||The Designated Liaison Person and Deputy Designated Liaison Person names and contact details are displayed on AnneLeigh’s website (www.anneleigh.ie)|
|5||Training||Counsellors / psychotherapists must avail of ongoing child safety training|
Our Child Safeguarding Statement has been developed in line with requirements under the Children First Act 2015, Children First: National Guidance for the Protection and Welfare of Children (2017), and Tusla’s Child Safeguarding: A Guide for Policy, Procedure and Practice. In addition to the procedures listed in our risk assessment, the following procedures are in preparation to support our intention to safeguard children while they are availing of our service.
- Procedure for the management of allegations of abuse or misconduct against workers/volunteers of a child availing of our service;
- Procedure for the safe recruitment and selection of counsellors /psychotherapists to work with children;
- Procedure for provision of and access to child safeguarding training and information, including the identification of the occurrence of harm;
- Procedure for the reporting of child protection or welfare concerns to Tusla;
- Procedure for maintaining a list of the persons (if any) in the relevant service who are mandated persons;
- Procedure for appointing a relevant person.
We recognise that implementation is an on-going process. Our service is committed to the implementation of this Child Safeguarding Statement and the procedures that support our intention to keep children safe from harm while availing of our service.
This Child Safeguarding Statement will be reviewed on 21st February 2020, or as soon as practicable after there has been a material change in any matter to which the statement refers.
Signed: Jennifer Foran
Our Designated Liaison Person is Jennifer Foran Contact 086 8599328 firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Deputy Designated Liaison Person is Jude Fay Contact 086 2327821 email@example.com
For queries, please contact Jennifer Foran at AnneLeigh Counselling & Psychotherapy
(Relevant Person under the Children First Act 2015).